Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day 3

Somewhere on the high seas, a ship is being blown gently by the breeze, towards adventure. The captain turns to his crew and says. “Beep! Beeeeeeep!!!!” And with that the third day of the Fuller Center Bike Trip is off. There is no need to shrug off the covers, (the night was too hot for them in the first place) and bleary eyed I make my way down stairs….
To be greeted by our host, from Brawly California. Awake before even we crazed cyclists, she had breakfast on the table while I was still trying to figure out why I had an old pirate’s ditty in my head.
“Oh the places you go!” It’s one of my favorite Dr Seuss books. What should follow that is; “Oh the people you’ll meet.” Jesus has been quoted several times on this trip, with the saying, “It is better to give then it is to receive.” Each of our hosts has demonstrated a gracious capacity for giving that must be blessed!
As to the riding… we biked through the desert, more desert and even some sand dunes! Up hills, down hills, up more hills, down more hills, 20 miles between stops and I am drinking at least a bottle and a half of water in between.
The heat has us all beat. We really would be going faster, but that 104 degree makes us keep our speed down. It’s a good excuse!
I shouldn’t complain. It’s cool tonight, only 101 degrees. We might still have ice in the coolers tomorrow, we bought 9 bags. Speaking of night, it is dark now and that should herald sleep, since we are up before dawn. Thus I will leave it here for the night. It is time to go upstairs and sleep on top of my sleeping bag.
221 miles down. Tomorrow: 50 or so miles tomorrow to Arizona.
Send Ice
Nathan

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nathan- glad to read your update and see all the new photos with captions. :) nice work. Seems there was no hospital visit on Day 3, so at least you've got that going for you. Praying for a cooling trend ~ teri

Unknown said...

Good going you bikers, we are all back at our homes cheering you on. We are thinking 'cool' thoughts and hope you get enough sleep each night so your days are great!

auntie "m" said...

Hey, All!

SO happy to read your latest update and to see so many great pics! Dani you are looking rested and happy! :) And in the one pic, you look exactly like my sis!! Wonder why? Ha ha. Hoping for some cooler weather for all of you!

Take care.
Auntie "M"

Cnynrat said...

Glad to hear you guys are still kicking and to see all the latest photos. I imagine you must be getting really tired of the heat. Soon you will climb up to the top of the Mogollon Rim. The scenery up there is beautiful and I imagine it will be a refreshing change from the Mojave desert (not that I don't think the desert has its own sere beauty). And the temps, well, it will probably cool down into the nineties. Better than 118 I guess!

Have fun, be safe.

Uncle "D"