Sunday, June 15, 2008

Making new friends

"You're halfway done!"  That's what I told the nine other riders who arrived in San Diego from all over the country today and yesterday.  After all, they made it out here, and now they just have to make it back!

As we meet, we all have the feeling that we will be part of something special, that this will be a journey we will always remember.  Some came by 43 hour train ride, others by a 33 hour car ride, and still others by a 3 hour plane ride; all will depart together via a 3,300 mile bike ride.
 

And everyone has a different story about how they came to be a part of it.  I met Doug, Chris, and Nathan on build sites; Katherine, Zach, and Kelsey saw a Facebook advertisement I created; Dani met Millard Fuller when he spoke at her university, and Aaron, who will be going to my alma mater Notre Dame next year, received a mass email that I sent out.  

My story is that last year I had the privilege of being a part of a cross country bicycle ride right before I joined The Fuller Center as a long-term volunteer in Americus, where I now lead The Fuller Center's youth work.  I've heard it said that where your abilities intersect with the world's need, that is where your calling lies.  

And so with that cycling experience behind me, Millard laid out The Fuller Center's needs in plain fashion:

1. Spread the word
2. Raise money 
3. Start new Covenant Partner groups 

I realized quickly that this journey can do all three.  Whether attracting media attention, handing out brochures, or speaking at churches, we will spread the word.  Our group has already raised over $46,000 towards our $100,000 goal, and our ride is helping to launch The Fuller Center here in San Diego, which will become our 40th Covenant Partner.

No one knows exactly what will come of our trek, but as we get to know one another and prepare for such an enormous task, we put our faith in God to guide and lead us from Day 1 to Day 56.

Oyee!

- Ryan Iafigliola



1 comment:

Josh "Philly" Rothstein said...

Josh from Philly here. I hope you all get started off great and know that I'll be praying for you until I meet all of you in a couple weeks in Albuquerque. Take care of yourselves: fellowship, pray and build together with love!

Josh!