Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Take Stock, Look Ahead


On the seventh day, God rested. I’ve started a post like this once before, but on the morning of our last riding day, Kirk started with it. God didn’t rest to recoup strength, Kirk said, but He rested to take stock of things.

We made millions of small decisions throughout the bike ride. Nothing went terribly wrong. Now the cyclists have returned to the real world and we, too, should stop, rest and take stock of how the trip affected us. We must take stock of what is really important in our lives after spending so much time away from most things familiar. We must take stock of what we discovered our gifts to be, and how we might use them. 

It became clear that the cycling aspect of the trip lured most of us. The building lured some equally. In the end, it was as much a faith journey for many as it was a cross-country bike trip. For me, it very well may have changed the entire course of my life as I look now to non-profit work instead of straight, newspaper journalism. I feel that I can’t turn away from spending my time directly improving the lives of others.

Riding in the car to my parents’ hotel last Friday night, I found myself clutching the back wheel of my bicycle, which rested on the folded-down seat next to me. My mom asked jokingly if I had developed an emotional attachment to my bike, and I believe I returned her with a serious look.

I won’t see my bike again for almost two weeks, as the guys at the shop in Savannah are backed up with repair jobs. It was much cheaper to ship it than spend $100 to haul it onto the plane, but I can’t dredge up any reason as to why it could be good for me to go that long without getting on the saddle. Perhaps it will prevent long days spent riding aimlessly around the city, lost in thought and looking for a small, white trailer surrounded by orange jerseys.

(But it hasn’t stopped me from checking out the 2008 Cannondales, finding a website listing all of the Texas bike rides and joining the local cycling club!)

Today is the day to start looking ahead, to stop missing college, to stop missing the bike trip. But I have to echo Chris (in the post below this one - check it out): 

I miss y'all.
Katherine

1 comment:

About Me said...

I was going to comment on something related to your post but i had to create an account and now forget what you wrote...but i agreed with it (i think) and miss you guys! Thanks to jenny/kat/chris for the pictures of us at the ocean!