Thursday, August 6, 2009

6th Build Day in Lanett,AL!


Preparing the land for the Blitz Build

I’m writing this blog entry in the midst of a battle between Esther and a frog that our new friend Mark caught and cleverly threw into her lap. Just another indication of how close a family this group has become in such a short amount of time, even as riders join us along the way—we helped Esther overcome her fear of frogs, and found a way to laugh as usual :). 
Eric on 100.9 The Bull 

Earlier today, before the frog episode, we were on the radio! The morning show on 100.9 The Bull in West Point, GA hosted Ryan’s usual talk on the Fuller Center, released news on Millard Fuller Legacy Build happening in the area soon, and then the host had us all introduce ourselves on the air! He asked us each why we joined the trip, or what our favorite part has been, and after Bill mentioned that his favorite part was the sausage biscuits our current hosts, the Park City United Methodist Church, left for us in the freezer, the radio host decided to provide us with 50 of the local specialty burgers for lunch! So in the middle of our work day, staining kitchen cabinets in preparation for the Legacy Build, we had a feast of “Daniel Burgers”... some of us might have eaten 4. Haha. 
Steve patiently taught us how to stain and varnish cabinets and even a playhouse! 

After our work day we visited the home of Bill and Martha Scott, founders of the Fuller Center here, for dinner, swimming, and the gracious use of their washers and driers—as a member of the current laundry chore group, I’m always grateful when someone makes laundry a little easier for us :). We always have a good time at the pool, but today was particularly special for me. As some readers may know, I’m sort of notorious for being a nerd... studying engineering does that for you I guess. But today in the pool, Krystal taught me some skills that may someday help me overcome that stigma and move on to a less socially stunted life style! Krystal noticed my also notoriously large calf muscles as potential for my career as a great cheerleader, and taught me to stand on her shoulders in the pool! So, you know, if anyone out there is looking to employ a mechanical engineer who also has experience in the cheerleading field, let me know. I also have pretty good tan lines (voted best in the group!) if that adds any worth to my resume :).
Erika staining the playhouse 

As each day of this crazy bicycle adventure passes we meet more and more people who are so grateful for what we’re doing, and yet each day we seem to be having more and more fun—I keep finding it almost impossible thank all the people who’ve welcomed, helped, and appreciated us along the way. I feel more blessed by this journey than I could have imagined, and it almost seems impossible that we’re helping others with our work as much as it’s all benefitted me personally. For example, the cabinets we stained today saved Steve, the Chattahoochee Valley Fuller Center’s resident cabinet maker, more than a month of time. But I feel like the opportunity to meet all the amazing people I’ve met, to learn everything I’ve learned about building, biking, and life, and to just forget about all of life’s usual practical concerns to bike and help out for a while has value that’d be measured by far more than the month we saved Steve. Basically, we’ve raised a lot of money, and helped a lot of people, but as it always seems to do, the time we’ve devoted to this cause we believe in has been personally fulfilling beyond all the good we’ve done outside ourselves. 
Mrs. Martha Scott prepared us a yummy meal!

I’m ending my blog entry surrounded by a much calmer serenade courtesy of Mark on guitar and a choir of worship singers/bikers, devoid of Esther’s screams. I guess it shows that although we have a lot of fun, we’re all here focused on the goal of the trip and our personal reasons for joining the journey. And as I think about returning to the real world soon, I’m so excited and proud to take all of these experiences with me.

Millard Fuller's childhood house


written by: Melissa Merrill

photos by: Esther Hyejin Chung

5 comments:

Katherine Fuller said...

The work you do inspires us all. I wish I could be in Americus to meet everyone.

P.S. Great to see you back in orange, Chris!

kwishum said...

We had a great time almost riding with you today! Sorry for my goof on the time zone. But we had a great ride on the trail you blazed for us.
Please tell the whole group that our little team will all be cheering for you on the big ride tomorrow - and praying for you. You can do it!
Two of us will be waiting for you at the Fuller Center.
Ride strong!

Tony Campbell said...

Ditto what Katherine said.
Show 'em how it's done, Chris. [But don't forget to chalk :) ]

Chris Cosby said...

Honestly, I probably have more than 30 cycling jerseys from my years in the business, but every time I ride, I wear the Fuller Center jersey, 'cause it just feels right. Team Fuller Center for life!
So, Kat and Tony, now that I've ridden with this year's group, there's already talk of next year's ride. Are ya'll in? I sure want to be and plan to make that a reality any way I can.
Chris

Beverly Black said...

Hi Guys I am so happy to see that you are having such a great time and it was such a pleasure meeting all of you in Americus. You are an inspiration! I am praying for you and know that when you dip those tires in the Gulf you will all feel a strong sense of accomplishment for a cause greater than yourselves and that is what living is all about . Love ya Beverly