Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quemado- Day Ten





Tony in New Mexico!                                             
Ryan at the boarder 
Nicole

So, today was a day of firsts!  Our first ninety-five mile ride, our first miles in New Mexico, and our first encounter with rain.  The day started off well with beautiful views and great weather; not to mention  some "fun" rolling hills.  Unfortunately, the closer we got to New Mexico the weather became more ominous.  Now, I can only speak for myself but from about mile forty to sixty were some of the worse miles we have completed on the trip so far.   Not only were there a decent amount of uphills but there was a strong (slightly frightening) crosswind that was blowing, at least me, into the road!  Then as it began to drizzle I experienced some more firsts...I ran into some tumble weed!  Shortly thereafter I experienced my first flat on the trip so far and struggled to fix it for about eight minutes until Tony the Tiger came along and saved me!  Things picked up at mile sixty-three when we crossed the border posed for some pictures and continued on to The First Baptist Church:  Where we were fed like kings and went to sleep early.  

The quote of the day occurred during dinner: 

"I think I will go back up for seconds" -Tony
"I'll draft you"-Aaron 


~Dani

4 comments:

DomerDad said...

Good hearing from all of you again!
Aaron reports being in a Verizon "no reception" zone yesterday. Or maybe.... you were in "Area 51"!
Thanks for the pics and Dani's update. Keep turning those cranks and spreading the word about the Fuller Center.
Ride on!

auntie "m" said...

Dani!!!

So good to hear from you! Sounds like you encountered some serious winds. Sorry about your close encounter with the tumbleweed. Yea for state number 3!

Talk with you soon!

Auntie "M"

Grandma and Grandad said...

Dani and Gang

Keep up the great ride and enjoy and learn from all the new experiences. It is a wonderfulservice you are performing and an opportunity of a lifetime as well.

Love - Grandma and Grandad

Soupy said...

"I think I will go back up for seconds" -Tony

Yep, that's my dad! ;)