Friday, August 8, 2008

Can't Stop Singin' (or getting flats)

First off, thanks to the Shenks for hosting a great post-goodbye-party goodbye party. Oyee Colin for a delicious meal.

For those who did not attend, came late or were preparing food, and especially for Auntie "M", here is the full Savannah version of the O Susanna song.

And, by the way, when I got back to the RV my front tire was flat. Anyone have more than 13?

O I left my home in Michigan for Californ-i-ay. I was headed to Savannah, gonna make it any day.


San Diego, O don’t you cry for me, ‘cuz I made it to Savannah, just my bicycle and me.

repeat after each verse


I’m from Chattahoochee Valley, I’m a builder don’t you see. And as well a lifelong cyclist, what a perfect ride for me.


Well, we both came down from Jersey, though from vastly different exits; and a person from New Jersey is the only one who gets it.


Well, I went out West from Florida, the sunshine was the same. Soon’s I set foot in Savannah I’ll be off to Notre Dame.


I’m from Cleveland – NO Americus, the leader of the pack. Biked from East to West Coast last year, now I’m cycling my way back.


I’m a runner from Kentucky, it was quite a feat for me. Had to bike with my torn ACL besides a busted knee.


I’m a journalist from San Antone, thought I’d give this ride a whirl. Though I may not have and accent, I’m a sho’ ‘nuff Texas girl.


O I came from Philadelphia, my dreidel left behind. When I got to Albuquerque, well, I just took cuts in line.


O we came to bike for just one week from C-A to A-Z,

We are gone but not forgotten, he is Zach and I’m Kelsey.


Well she biked to Albuquerque with the other Notr’Dame guys,

but I don’t think I’ll reveal her name; I’ll keep it a Surprise.


O her name is Jenny Hartwig and she came down South by bus;

Well she made it to Savannah and she did put up with us.


Well the Merchants joined in Auburn, Gerri, Rhonda, Jack and tykes,

Zach and Caleb rode beside them on recumbent tandem trikes.


Well he rode with us in spirit ‘cuz he let us use his truck;

And had Kirk not been so gen’rous, boy, would we be out of luck!


Then he joined us with son Levi, they both found us in West Point.

Then they served us dinner at their home, a quite impressive joint.


Well I made it to Savannah but I wasn’t all alone;

Mary brought the RV to Lanett, so I’m already home.


San Diego, O don’t you cry for me, ‘cuz I made it to Savannah, with my wife, bike and RV.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you for making up a verse for us! i hope that you all had a great time across the rest of the country & i only wish that i could have joined you for the full ride. if any of you are ever in the east lansing area, let's do lunch. i'll be there for at least the next year doing biofuels research.

Sandy Heidecker said...

Beautiful!

auntie "m" said...

Ok, Tony, I have no idea what profession you are in, but you sure do have a fun way with words! I am hoping that the core group of bikers sang that song at least one time somewhere along the way. :-)

Loved the references to your wife and how when she became a part of the journey, you were home! awwww! <3

Margie