Sunday, July 12, 2009

So we begin...


The Fuller Center Bike Trip 2009 Riders

“Why can’t God just fix the housing crisis Himself?”

Some believe God should fix issues, such as the housing crisis, in His own “mystical” way without the use of people. I might be biased being human, but I like when God inspires people to change history. When I look around I see His love expressed in the most magnificent ways through people who are willing and available to serve others as His hands and feet. This summer 15 of us “strangers” will be biking 1300 miles with one goal: to provide low-income families with a decent place to live. We will be putting our pedals and hammers where are hearts are by building houses, & raising support for the Fuller Center for Housing.

Kyle & Erika buried Eric

Today we went through our orientation, which included:

-Learning each other’s names by playing a unique combination of rock-paper-scissors, creating human chains, and chanting our names in booming voices. I think it is safe to say we have everyone’s name permanently engraved in our minds.

Ryan made flats seem fun

-Practicing how to fix flats and learning about other joyful perks that come with the privilege of cruising on two wheels.

-Going on a 5 mile ride to Lake MI to practice riding as a group.

Susan, Lisa, a friend & Erika enjoying Lake Michigan

-Becoming familiarized with Millard Fuller’s vision for the Fuller Center of Housing. He wanted to eliminate housing poverty by partnering with local communities and volunteers. Fuller’s words made me shiver while we were watching one of his last sermons and he said his motto “God loves you and so do we”. This compassionate man devoted his life to show complete strangers the love of Christ not only with words but also through his actions.

Chatting around the fire

-Getting to know each other more while munching on a delicious meal.

Tomorrow we will be sent off at Lake Michigan.

All of us riders will be updating this blog daily (as long as we can get a hold of a sometimes impossibly hard to get hold character known as “ The Internet”) so please check our blog frequently.

We want to give special thanks to the following:

First Church of God in St. Joseph, MI- for providing us with an amazing basement…or “Attic,” for our use during 3 days and the church’s members for showering us with encouraging words!

Hub & Ryan

Hub & Joan Erickson- for welcoming us in to their lovely home. Oh and for providing us with pizza, too many ice cream sandwiches, inspiring conversations, and a sweet afternoon on Lake Michigan complete with a scenic sunset.

Gary Zick firing up the grill

Ryan Ricketts & Gary Zick -for grilling some tasty steaks and mushrooms in order to fuel us up with some protein.

Much love from the road,

Esther Hyejin Chung

4 comments:

Chris Cosby said...

Esther,
Great writeup. I have been thinking of ya'll since you started Friday and looking forward to the blog updates. I just got in from a 3 hour ride, only my second time on the road bike since Tybee Isaland last August. Flew the orange colors of Team Fuller Center, of course. I can't wait to meet ya'll and ride together into the Valley (and possibly beyond?). Monday night I'm showing our video from last year's ride to the local bike club, so we will have some of them join us as well! Keep the updates coming, I'm on the ride vicariously!
Keep the rubber side down and between the ditches...
Chris

Anonymous said...

HUH! You guys are rollin' easy. That first night last year, four of us aimlessly wandered the streets of La Jolla, Calif., searching for ice cream. Nothing was open but a sketchy gas station. Then we had to ride 55 miles straight uphill to Julian the next day. You keep those kids straight, Tony!

I kid, of course. I can't wait to read your blog posts and see the photos (especially because it will make my job easier!) and I wish everyone the best of luck.

As the rider who was constantly in the back last year, I want to tell the slower riders NEVER to feel down on yourself. Enjoy every minute of the ride and be proud of yourself for going so far on two wheels, no matter what speed.

Hope you like the jerseys I designed. I'll be wearing mine in solidarity when I pedal around San Antonio, TX. Do us proud and HAVE FUN!!

All the best,
Katherine Stump Fuller
Assistant Director of Communications, FCH

Doug Stephens said...

Nice write-up as well. I see Ryan rides the same brand bike as Lance - a Trek. Thanks for doing the ride. I wish you all strong tailwinds and a safe voyage. I did the ride last year and it was a blast. Doug, NJ

Sandy Heidecker said...

Oh, Esther, I just remembered the answer to why God does not fix the housing needs... we are all supposed to be "getting off our donkeys" to be the Samaritan! (that will ALWAYS stick with me as well as seeing two rows of FCBA shirts in front of me).